It’s almost November, which mean gift-giving and gift guide making season is about to commence. A coworker of mine was scrambling to find a gift the other afternoon, which make me think about all of the great places in DC that sell cute items that are 1) fairly low-cost and 2) easy to pick up the same day (read: no scrambling around a store to find the perfect thing). Here are a few of my local picks, which will come in handy as gift-giving season amps up shortly!
- Little Leaf. This is an adorable plant/card shop in the Dupont/U Street area that is the sister store of Salt and Sundry, which I also love. Grab your friend a succulent and you have the perfect little gift! Carrie recently purchased a plant from there for her bedroom, and it’s looking great so far, and last weekend, I picked up a small aloe plant for upstairs. The plant, pot, and saucer only set me back $16!
- The Paper Source. You really can’t go wrong at the Paper Source. I used to spend way too much time browsing in there when I lived closer to one, especially in New York, because surprisingly, there just wasn’t anything else like it! Pick up a Rifle Paper candle, a cute journal, or a handy travel pouch for no more than $20 or $30.
- Anthropologie. Good old Anthro. Like Paper Source, this obviously isn’t unique to the DC area, but I’m including it on here because their in-store pickup system is so easy. I did it a ton when I lived in Georgetown and didn’t want to pay for shipping! Grab a cute mug, a set of bowls, or check out the sale section for great hostess gifts. Bonus: Right now, all of their sale items are an additional 40 percent off!
- Urban Dwell. This is a relatively new-to-me store, but it sells a bunch of home goods and paper goods (like the famous DC prints I wrote about here). It would be a great spot to pick up a housewarming gift!
- Trader Joe’s. Hear me out, ok? Honestly, when can you ever go wrong with a pretty bottle of wine and a sweet treat to go with it? I was browsing the other day and noticed how many adorable bottles they have (they even sell Whispering Angel for way less, though the season for that has passed!). Pair it with a personalized note or a candle, and you’re all set!