Today is my first day of work (ish)–tomorrow is my first official day, but today is a half day orientation. I’m excited to learn more about my new role and community and am definitely going to be mainly focused on all things work-related and commute-related as I settle into a new routine. I didn’t do a ton of blogging during my week off because I needed a bit of a mental break, but I thought I’d pop in with a quick post about what I’ve been up to these past few days!
- Went to NYC with my mom and saw the Rockettes and walked around admiring all of the Christmas decorations! I’ll post a full recap soon, but I’m so glad we made it up there this time of year. It was a little different not doing a “friend” trip this time around (I didn’t see anyone else!), but a low-key getaway was what I needed, and my mom and I tried some great restaurants, explored the West Village, and visited my old neighborhood on the Upper East Side. I wasn’t in the best mood at points due to feeling a little worn out from a number of different things this fall, so I’m glad we took it easy, though wish I could’ve been fully present the entire time.
- Did some DC things–namely went to Zoo Lights and ate at Duke’s Grocery for the first time (I know!). I’d heard that they’re famous for their burgers, but I went after a spin class and hadn’t eaten all morning (terrible, I know) and just didn’t want to start the day with a burger, haha. It’s on my list for next time! I did make my friend order it and she loved it, and I got a delicious (huge) BLT. My roommate and I also had our first night going out together, which was long overdue! We’ve tried some restaurants during the week but have been so busy this fall to the point where we were barely ever both home on the same weekends! We also finished decorating our tree and are prepping for a brunch we’re hosting next weekend…things are getting festive in our little apartment.
- Speaking of spin class, I’ve been getting back into a workout routine, but it doesn’t make sense for me to join the gym at work until after the holidays. In the meantime, I’ve been using some ClassPass credits–I purchased a 10 pack for the price of 5 classes during Cyber Week, and it’s honestly the perfect solution for not having access to a gym at the moment. I’ve tried all sorts of things on ClassPass but have found that I really only look forward to spin, so I’m using the credits at 5 or so studios in the area, since you can only go to the same place two times max. I’ve also taken a leap of faith and signed up for my first (free!) Orange Theory class next weekend (ahhhh…and yes, I will plan to eat beforehand). My super athletic friend Catherine loves it, but I’m terrified! However, I’ve heard great things, and if you have any tips for prepping for the first class, let me know (I already talked the rep’s ear off!).
- Got the iPhone 8+. My good ole iPhone 5 had been lasting about 25 minutes max before dying, so I thought an upgrade was an order. I didn’t see the need to shell out $$ for the 10, but I’d heard that the 8 Plus had an amazing camera, so I decided to go with that. Update: I love it! I’d been curious about getting a “nice” camera for awhile now, but I think this will do just fine for now!
- Oh, and if you missed my latest Insta, I found the adorable Ashley Brooke Designs must pictured above while browsing at TJ Maxx last week. At $2.99 a pop, they’re great gift ideas (or you know, great gifts for yourself!). I picked up a few for me and my roommate to use (as if we don’t have enough mugs) as well as some extras that I’ve stashed away for Christmas gifts.
What are you up to this week/what did you do over the weekend? I loved seeing the first snow of the season on Saturday and wish I’d had my phone then to get some good pics–the city looked beautiful and seeing all of the greenery covered with a dusting of snow made me feel like I was living in a Christmas movie. 🙂